Thursday, October 7, 2010

Opinel knives

I was finally in the right place at the right time and grabbed a new Opinel folder. I haven't had one since moving west and have been meaning to pick up a new one for ages. I was lucky enough to find a shop that carried the nicer ones ad got one with an olive wood handle.

Opinel has been around since the 1890's and is still a family run business in the Savoie region of France. It was one of the first knives I ever owned having gotten my first as a gift when I was 6 or 8 years old. Though my first Opinel was an even more simple "penny knife". I may have to track down one of those as well. That was such a good little knife...

They're just simple well made knives with such a classic design as to not really need much of an update even after more than 100 years. Similar to both Nontron and Laguiole the Opinel is the more likely knife you will find out in the world. One thing I like about them is that being priced reasonably they are knives you won't hesitate to use. This is a knife that successfully combines style and function with the bonus that they tend to look better with time and use.

No comments:

Post a Comment