Monday, September 1, 2014

Urban Shield 2014




So wow, Urban Shield 2014. I learned so much it's hard to cover everything but trying is probably a good way to remember more of it so I'll set best intentions now to write at least a few posts talking about some of what I learned. A heck of a lot of ground was covered from exposure to gear and skills to being around countless mentors ranging from Air Force para-rescue, SWAT teams, firefighters and medical professionals with decades of experience to stress training that put everything to the test. It was great. 

Among the more trackable benchmarks was getting my LEFR TCC certification, learning needle decompression and substantially upgrading my skills with tourniquets and triage. All more than worthwhile. I'm quite predictably a better first responder for having participated. 
From the skilled medics and doctors to the equally skilled operators I was privileged to train with and learn from, I'm humbled, impressed and owe many debts of thanks. Urban Shield was one of the best training exercises I have ever attended. I'm already looking forward to next year. 
On the off chance someone averse to the event gets a look at this post it may be helpful to consider that Urban Shield is not about militarizing the police. It is about preparing for disasters, natural and man made. This is how first responders prepare for everything from hurricanes and earthquakes to school shootings and terrorist bombings. I understand popular objections but no joke, you want this event to happen. If you are concerned about what goes on there maybe volunteer and see for yourself instead of preventing your community first responders from training to take care of you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment